Monday, March 21, 2011

A dose of humility helps the religion go down

Sunday was a very strange day. The day began with Federico, Danielle and I driving to the Illinois Holocaust Museum for the Kovler Benefit. Check out the picture below.



The theme of the museum is "Honoring the past and shaping the future." You can see how, architectually speaking, this theme is represented in the building's design. Half of the building looks like a concentration camp (the Western facade) and the other half looks like Tomorrowland at Disney World. Unfortuantely, when we dropped Danielle off, all I saw was the Western facade. It makes for an omimous day when you pull up to a building that looks like a concentration camp as the first major thunderstorm of the year booms overhead. I should've known something was off in the cosmos.

After dropping Danielle off, Federico and I went to the Corner Bakery in Skokie. For those of you who have never been to Skokie, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. For those of you from Peachtree City, Skokie is part Newnan, part Atlantic Station, and part industrial park. For those of you not from Peachtree City, Skokie is part ugly, part gentrified, and part industrial park. I tried to find an adequate picture of Skokie, but searching "ugly Skokie" gave me a picture of Fox News, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton. Whatever that means.

Federico and I sat down for lunch. The Middle East was heavy on my mind due to the recent events in Egypt and Libya, my clients at work, and the visit to the Illinois Holocaust Museum. I was struggling to understand the founding of Israel because in my mind, it went like this:

Palestinians in the Holy Land ==> Holocaust, World War II, and imperalist Europe ==> Jews in the Holy Land

Needless to say, there are some gaps there.

Since Federico knows everything, I asked him to explain the founding of Israel to me. (Editorial note: don't ever discuss Israel in a public place.) Federico began to explain the historical context and basically I got as far as: Jews had been settling in Palestine for many years, Britain was heavily involved, what actually happened is incredibly murky when a man walked over and said, "Excuse me, I noticed you were talking about Israel; mind if I join you?" (Editorial note: the correct answer to that question is: "Actually, we were just leaving.")

In the spirit of Amate-ness (whatever that is), I invited him to sit down. The man (I kid you not) was named Samson. He asked us, "So Israel, what do you think about that?" (Editorial note: if you are ever asked "what you feel" about something, run.)

Federico, being smarter than I, saw this trap coming from a mile away. He actually said, "I don't have any opinion on it. It's just super complicated, you know?" Smart man my coworker.

We quickly learned that the man was neither a Jew or a Muslim; no, no, it was much worse: he was a born-again Christian. (Editorial note (yet again): I should say I have many wonderful friends who are born-again. However, there is a difference between them and born-again Christians who are evangelizing in a Corner Bakery.) He used the Israel discussion to explain how it was God's will that the Jewish people return to the Holy Land. He proceeded to ask us where we would go when we die (Federico mysteriously disappeared for a long time).

I can go into greater detail about this conversation if anyone is really curious, but I'll try to summarize. He wanted us to be saved by saying the sinners' prayer (sinner's or sinners'?), accepting Jesus into our heart and our worries would be no more. Naturally, since I love a good debate and have a big mouth (and just enough theological training to annoy people) I felt I was up to the challenge. Some highlights:

Solomon: Do you think Muslims and Buddhists go to heaven?
Michael: Sure, why not?
Solomon: [Insert obscure bible passage] See? They worship false gods!
Michael: Actually, God states in the bible there is no other God but God so there's no such thing as a false God. Secondly, Muslims pray to the God of Abraham just like us. We can debate merits of individual religions but Muslims don't pray to a false god.
Solomon: [Insert obscure bible passage] See? Isaac had the perfect sacrifice, not Ishmael!
Michael: What? You changed the subject! We're talking about Abraham not his sons.
Solomon: [Insert obscure bible passage]

Solomon: Jesus said he was the way, the truth and the light!
Michael: Yeah, there's a difference between saying "only Christians go to Heaven" and "the only way to the Father is through Jesus."

later

Michael: Religion requires humility.
Solomon: [bible passage] The righteous are bold!
Michael: I've met plenty of people who are bold but aren't righteous. Morality is complicated.
Solomon: Morality isn't complicated! [Bible passage] It's simple! [I should've left there].

later

Michael: Look I'm leaving.
Solomon: All you have to do is say the sinner's prayer and you are saved!
Michael: I'll take my chances. Pray for me. [I don't think he will].

So this all took place before noon. My thoughts:
1. All he talked about was where I would go when I die. That's it. Nothing about living well.
2. The only time he mentioned God was when he mentioned God was a jealous God.
3. I wasn't debating a human. I was debating an apologetics machine.
4. All he wanted for was me to say that prayer.

I think I'm beginning to realize why I have so much baggage with religion. I basically grew up in-between the Catholic Church and Born-Again Christians. With Catholics I knew, it was all about works. If I could a) go to mass weekly b) go to confession yearly c) not have dirty thoughts, I was good to go! Heaven was my reward. With Born-Again Christians, all I needed was to be saved, have faith and I was good to go!

I think I struggle because both because both can be so detached from reality. When I was young, it was nice to know that I was in good hands, but salvation required good works. With evangelicals, I got so angry because how you act on a daily basis matters nothing if you have faith. Fundamentalists in both religions never mention that God is a God of love. Ultimately, I'm thankful for the encounter because it reminds me of what I actually want out of religion.

I'd like to end this post with a few Bible quotes of my own. I pray that we all find humility in religion. That we see it as a way to find peace with our faults but to strive to better our world.

I came so that they might have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10-11

With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow before God most high? Shall I come before him with holocausts, with calves a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with myriad streams of oil? Shall I give my first-born for my crime, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? You have been told what is good, and what the LORD requires of you: Only to do the right and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:6-8

But if you would offer me holocausts, then let justice surge like water, and goodness like an unfailing stream. Amos 5:23-24

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if one has a grievance against another; as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do. And over all these put on love, that is, the bond of perfection. And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3: 12-17

You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. Matthew 5: 43-45

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me. Matthew 5: 3-11

No comments:

Post a Comment